Our Team is an Extension of Yours
Purchasing support from us provides you with direct access to the pfSense team with a targeted response time of one business day for all support questions related to pfSense core. pfSense support compliments your IT resources, adding value and increasing efficiency by having a pfSense engineer ready to answer your questions and provide best practice advice. What's more, if you purchase your hardware appliance from the pfSense store, our support team will be more empowered to provide end-to-end solutions which encompass the hardware or the firewall application.
Managing Your IT Budget
Our support model is unique in that everything is on an hourly basis. This helps you manage your already-stretched IT budget! Support plans start with a 2-hour minimum commitment and are billed at an incremental hourly rate after that. You can purchase support as you need it without a large initial or subsequent purchase resulting in valuable IT dollars being left on the table. Support hours do expire one year after date of purchase. For more complex projects that deal with anything outside of pfSense core, we offer professional services at a very reasonable rate.
Support Services Offered
The following outlines the services we most commonly provide to our customers, this is not an exhaustive list:
- If you run into a problem with pfSense software, we are here to help.
- Configuration Assistance
- Whether you need some brief guidance on the best approach, or want us to walk you through the configuration via GoToMeeting to control your screen, or log in to your firewall and completely configure it ourselves, we are available for any level of assistance.
- Configuration Review
- We can review your configuration to ensure it follows both pfSense and general firewall best practices, and provide recommendations on improvements.
Targeted Response Time
It is our goal to see to it that all inquiries receive a qualified reply within one business day. Issues are prioritized by severity - problems causing an outage or having significant immediate impact on your network will always take priority, and will receive our attention as quickly as possible.
pfSense engineers are available from 8 AM to 8 PM US Eastern time, Monday through Friday, excluding holidays in the United States. Emergency support is available 24 hours a day every day of the year at a premium rate.
Commercial support is provided from the company founded by the people behind the pfSense project, Electric Sheep Fencing LLC.
Direct support is available for support subscribers only.
While commercial support time purchased through ESF will cover most things related to pfSense, there are some tasks which involve configuration, testing and implementation. This is where our professional services team comes in. Professional services are billed separately from commercial support and you will receive a statement of work from our engineers prior to the start of the project. ESF is ready and able to handle the following:
- Network Security
- ESF has partnered with PatchAdvisor, an industry leader in network security. PatchAdvisor can conduct a comprehensive vulnerability assessment with the goal of assessing the security posture of your internal network and systems security controls. Every device within the network is evaluated for configuration backdoors, trojans, malware, and mis-configuration which can lead to attacks and intrusions from the outside.
Our experienced professionals will examine the internal information systems for implementation of industry best practices and perform a technical review to verify existing vulnerabilities and configuration errors.
PatchAdvisor also offers product-independent network designs as well as design reviews of pre-deployment specifications and existing networks with an emphasis on potential vulnerabilities and network management shortfalls.
For more information, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
- CARP Configuration
- The Common Address Redundancy Protocol (CARP) allows multiple hosts to share the same IP address and provide high availability. One or more hosts can fail, and the others will take over for the failed system transparently. In addition to the shared IP address, hosts also have a unique IP address for management and configuration. Our professional services team can configure your firewalls to support high availability, thus reducing the risk of catastrophic failure.
- Network Design
- Before you can begin to design a network, you first must determine your needs. What services must you provide to your user community? What are the resources you'll need? You have to take into account network protocols, applications, network speed, and, most important, network security issues. Another important factor your management will probably force you to consider is cost — you can't forget the budget.
We have provided assistance with network design ranging from a review of your proposed design, to completely designing the environment to your requirements and providing complete, professional network diagrams and documentation. These are commonly larger or more complex networks, such as co-location environments, WISPs, small ISPs, universities, and large corporate environments.
- Firewall Conversion
- Migrating from one firewall vendor to another can be a huge undertaking requiring hours of tedious access and NAT rule rewriting, testing, verification and more!. For customers with an existing firewall looking to convert to pfSense software, we can configure your pfSense software to match the settings of your existing firewall product. We have experience with a wide range of commercial and open source firewalls, and extensive expertise and experience with Cisco PIX and ASA.
- Systems and Infrastructure Install
- Underlying applications to manage data, customers and infrastructure are absolutely critical. The installation and configuration of these applications can also be a daunting task. The ESF professional services team can help with the consultation, installation and configuration of the following enterprise applications:
- Cacti - Performance and utilization graphing
- Nagios - Network monitoring
- rsyslog+ElasticSearch+Kibana3 - Log aggregation server (free splunk alternative)
- Splunk - Log aggregation server
- vTiger CRM
- Sugar CRM
- Zentyal Small Business Server
- Bitrix24 CRM and Workspaces
For assistance on any of the aforementioned services, please e-mail email@example.com
detailing your requirements and time frame. We will be in contact (usually within 24 business hours).
pfSense Gold is our premium membership subscription program, designed to provide special benefits to our members while supporting ongoing development of the Open Source pfSense project.
Current exclusive benefits for Gold members include:
- Access to our AutoConfigBackup secure cloud based backup service for up to 10 hosts.
- pfSense: The Definitive Guide book in PDF and other formats, available for immediate download after purchasing.
- Monthly online MeetUp! Monthly video conference hosted by a rotating selection of core developers with occasional special guests.
- Plus many more features are being planned.
Please Note: pfSense Gold is a completely separate product from support, all Gold Memberships do not have support included.
We have a documentation wiki available and if you are looking for a more in-depth view of the pfSense project, we recommend you look there.
For example, it contains several tutorials on how to use pfSense software.
pfSense 2.1 Book Now Available!
By far the best source of information available on the project, pfSense: The Definitive Guide Version 2.1, is immediately available to Gold Members.
Written by pfSense co-founder Chris Buechler and pfSense developer Jim Pingle, this Definitive Guide to pfSense covers installation and basic configuration through advanced networking and firewalling with the popular open source firewall and router distribution. This book is designed to be a friendly step-by-step guide to common networking and security tasks, plus a thorough reference of pfSense software's capabilities.
The book covers hardware and system planning, installation and upgrades, backups, firewalling fundamentals, port forwarding and Network Address Translation, bridging, Virtual LANs (VLAN), Multi-WAN, Virtual Private Networks (VPN) using IPsec, PPTP, and OpenVPN, traffic shaping, load balancing, wireless networking and captive portal setups, redundant firewalls and High Availability, system monitoring, logging, traffic analysis, sniffing, packet capturing, troubleshooting, and software package and third-party software installations and upgrades.
The print version of the first edition of pfSense: The Definitive Guide is available from Amazon.com and other retailers. This edition is based on version 1.2.3, so is dated for best information specific to 2.x versions. A print version of the 2.1 book will be available in 2014.